Friday, February 19, 2010

Singapore Connection: Phonographs, Records, Music From David Row Teachers Est (Part I)


The image attracts and there are some phonograph enthusiasts in Singapore who collect these players, which can still produce music recorded near the beginning of the 20th Century.

David Row from Teachers' Estate near Upper Thomson Road, Singapore has a collection that will astound you. From his Edison phonograph since the beginning of the last century to his beautiful AMI Continental 2 Jukebox playing 60s music 45 rpm singles, Row has them all. When blogger visited him a few weeks ago, the former listened intently to music played on various phonograph machines owned by Row.

He is also a collector of LPs, EPs and 78s. He has shelves full of vinyls that he has kept for more than 50 years. Name the song or record and he would probably have a copy.

Row has given talks at Community Clubs and other venues. He has appeared a few times in the daily papers where he explained the importance of passing time positively. "Hobbies," he said, "are important, especially at our age."

More about this remarkable gentleman in future postings.

Original article: Andy Lim Collection.

5 comments:

Thimbuktu said...

Incredible. Its great to know there's a collection of unique phonograph from David. Thanks for an awesome blog, Andy!

ANDY: Pop Music Not Pills. © said...

Thank you James for the comment and support.

CNA said...

Dear Andy, I am a producer at Channel NewsAsia, and I'd like to get in touch with you because I am working on a show about Singapore in the 60s. Can you email me back when you see my message? Hear from you soon!

ANDY: Pop Music Not Pills. © said...

I have replied your note.

P V George said...

I met David by chance at a hardware store near Kelantan Lane, Singapore. He was asking me about screws after he learnt that I was working as a mechanical engineer. A very nice gentleman and I can really sense his passion for grammaphones and the "Edison". He informed me that he is currently working on fixing an old American fan, where he had trouble with a screw, which initiated our conversation. Anyway, it was very nice to learn that we have such a knowledgeable and dedicated collector in our midst who is not afraid to get his hands dirty, even at the age of 85 yrs. A truly remarkable individual.