Saturday, January 09, 2016

Crystal Abidin: Growing Up With Jerry Murad of 'The Dukes'.



UP TO 1,600 VIEWS
Crystal Abidin is an anthropologist, ethnographer, and percussionist who grew up in Singapore and now lives in Perth. She used to play classical percussion in orchestras and now sings harmony in church. Reach her at wishcrys.com
This young lady is completing her PhD studies and we 'met' on her website. I wrote to ask if she could write an article about Singapore music in the 60's. She agreed and I must thank her for the kindness to do so. Find out what she reveals and who she really is:
A labour of love: Growing up with Jerry Murad of The Dukes.
By Crystal Abidin.
My father has five brothers and two sisters, which makes for a whole lot of cousins for my sister and I to play with when we were growing up (and every Raya is a mini logistical nightmare, but that’s another story for another time).
Uncle Murad is secretly my favourite one.
Many veteran musicians in Singapore know Jerry Murad as the front man and lead guitarist of the 1960's band, The Dukes. My father, Zainal Abidin, was the bassist – he has several magazine covers and vinyl covers from his treasure trove to prove that they were once young, fine, eligible young men.
While many great musicians of his cohort have gone on to fulltime jobs in other sectors, Jerry Murad is one of the few musicians who has managed to maintain a career (and raise a family of five) as a professional musician for over five decades.

Here is a snapshot of his life.
I know Jerry Murad intimately. 
He is the uncle who showered me with the most gifts when I was growing up. 
As a child, I remember weekly visits to Nenek's house where Uncle Murad and his family live. There was a glass cabinet by the window in the living room, in which my uncle kept all his musical scores, meticulously filed and labeled.
I soon learnt that if I lurked around for long enough while intently peering through the glass door, Uncle Murad would come over, ask what I was “interested in”, and offer to hand on another one of his precious scores to me.
I never really asked for anything out rightly, because I was a polite child. But seeing as how a good third of my current collection of scores were gifts from my uncle, I guess being sneaky and patient pays off.
When my sister later started recording herself on YouTube and playing at gigs, she inherited a couple of guitars from Uncle Murad. It would have been nice if he had a few spare marimbas or vibraphones laying around for me (FYI Uncle Murad, my birthday is in March).
Uncle Murad is also the resident one-man band at every one of my cousins’ weddings.
It is almost a family ritual for Uncle Murad to rock up with his mics, e-guit, portable amps, and miscellaneous electronica at every family function, big or small. He has his signature batik shirts, a badass ponytail, and a library of song dedications for everyone. It only gets embarrassing when at weddings he makes song dedications to all the “single nieces and nephews”, wishing we would “find love and happiness… maybe at the wedding”.
I also know Jerry Murad professionally.
Some time in 2009, I sat down with Uncle Murad and interviewed him about his life as a professional musician for a school project. Today, I revisit these fieldnotes to share some snippets of our conversation.
Crystal: So! How did it all begin?
JM: My scouts days were the best of my life… James Cook Petrol Boy Scouts. We were so famous in school! During camping, hiking, canoeing, we always sang our own songs, so during one campfire, we formed The Dukes, our own band. Then we got famous and signed a record with a record company), and played for many years. But then we grew up, some migrated, some had to work
Crystal: You’ve done this for over fifty years. Is it tough being a professional musician in Singapore?
JM: I already know from the start that it’s gonna be tough in the music industry, you know? I was prepared for it. I’m not saying it’s easy, but I just have to face the difficulties. After all, I’m earning money for my passion you know? How many people can say they love their jobs? For me, my passion became my job.
Crystal: Do you think musicians are sometimes under-valued or underpaid?
JM: Well… Sometimes I play past the allocated time, or play even though they cannot afford to pay me my rates. I’m quite flexible, but only because to me the music business is not all about money. If you play solely to earn a living, you will be miserable. I always go all the way, I give everything I’ve got. I’m really just playing because I love music.
The Dukes with Selina and Rhumba de Havana, two of my favourite hits. Video by Malaysiaboleh

Crystal: How do you maintain relations with your clients?
JM: Sometimes my clients are Chinese… so I will secretly prepare a Chinese song to sing without telling them. If it’s for old people, I memorize some Hokkien songs that they all like. When they see a Malay putting in effort to make their event memorable, they will remember me. 

Crystal: Has age affected your business?
JM: Asia is very different, they think old people are useless. In the US, you see all these old men, they walk on stage with their walking sticks…these black people…but once they take out their instruments…magic! They are so skilled you know! But in Asia, people just see your appearance first…
Crystal: Any gig that was particularly eventful?
JM: I played for the Hong Kong-China handover... But I played for two bands! My big band and combo band… I was the only one, what a good experience. Before midnight when we played, we were playing for the British… then after midnight, I was still playing, but now for China… who else can say they have played for two countries in one night? 

I watched the royal queens yacht passing… cruising to England… hearing the bells ringing at midnight, like the last bastion of the British empire… then I saw the red flags marching in, choreographed so beautifully… really blessed with the experience.”
Crystal: Do you have plans for retirement?
JM: I don’t want to stop playing. I want to die with a guitar in my hand, and maybe ‘go down’ to jam with MJ (Michael Jackson) and Elvis!”
Copyrights Reserved: Crystal Abidin.
Images from You Tube and A Personal Collection.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Andy,

Great of Jerry Murad to be in the local music scene for more than 50 years. This is one of the tribute and pioneer to our local musicians of the 60's. This is what we call passion by an individual for the love of music.

Cheers to Jerry and also many others who are still rocking and rolling themselves in pursuit of their passion.

I hope to see more performances and gigs in the coming months.

Best regards,

Fabian Foo

SUNNY WEE said...

Hi Andy,
Definitely the Dukes can be classified as one of the best bands in the local pop music. I hv indelible memories of the band performing lively music at Celestial room and Ocean Park. In fact, the band needs to be admired for entertaining senior citizens with oldies at the Outdoor Esplanade Theatre not too long ago. The band boys never seem grow old except more grey hairs. Long live the band.

JERRY FERNANDEZ said...

The dukes, yes I knew te way back in 60's With Jerry Murad during the T dance era. Jerry is a very talented musician and contributed his God given talent to the musical industry in Singapore.

There were instances where my band THe Neufaces appeared along with his band on the same stage. Wishing Jerry Murad and The Dukes the very best.

Cheers and God Bless.

ANDY: Pop Music Not Pills. © said...

HOW THIS POSTING CAME ABOUT
THE EMAIL CHAT:

C: Pleasant surprise to hear from you :) Am dropping you an email so we can chat about writing an article.

A: Thanks for reply. Would be glad, really. Please write anytime.

C: I would be happy to write a nostalgic piece about having grown up with 60s musicians. My father and uncle - Zainal Abidin and Jerry Murad - were both in The Dukes :)

A: Numbed. Your daddy is Zainal? I'm in touch with him all the time. Please write the nostalgic piece if you can. And reveal yourself if you want to?

C: Indeed he is! Sounds great, Andy. I'll send you something by mid-November. Am in the midst of clearing some backlog now since having return from Phoenix two days ago. Happy to keep chatting :) moshimoshi andy.

PETER CHAN (PIANIST, BUSINESS PERSON n BASS GUITARIST IN THE 70's said...

I briefly knew Jerry.. Plays flute if i recall. Later became music agent when I hired a trio for my house function. 3 or 4 guitarists n double bass, singers.

He got similar looks like AHMAD DAUD.

JOEY KOH said...

Thanks for JM story.

FACEBOOK ANDY said...

Thanks to DICK YIP, JALANI MOHAMED, LIEW KAI KHIUN, RANDY LEE KENG, TAN TENG TENG, TIN LEONG LIM. WONG KC for acknowledging the post.

ML said...

Don't remember ever talking to Jerry. I did hear of band the Dukes. And Quests, Checkmates...

ANDY: Pop Music Not Pills. © said...

My final note to Crystal before this post:

Hi Crystal,
Thanks so much for write-up. Will post it after the Xmas season. Would be nice for a New Year story. Wishing you a Happy Xmas and New 2016.

Your picture reminds of the lines of a song:
"Sun-tanned, wind blown, honey mooners at last alone,
Feeling far above par, oh how happy you are..."

Warm regards

Thanks again for posting support, especially Crystal, who so willingly and without hesitation offered me her papers for publication. And daddy Zainal too.

And all you out there, thanks.

YOU TUBE COMMENTS OF RECORDING said...

Zainal Daniel:
I was in the studio during the recording. Jerry Murad on lead. Zainal Akib on rhythm. Richard Young on drums. I was on Base.

Zainal Daniel
on bass

seikouchan
My dad Dennis Chan was the lead guitarist for this single and recognised this album cover.

bodek besar
Jerry Murad was the lead guitarist not your Dad Denis Chan.

ParaBreakdown
It's lovely.

PETER CHUA LEAD said...

Zainal, can you on my behalf sent my Cngratulations to your Daughter Crystal for this Great write up. I"m sure Jerry will be proud of her as well. Likewise I'm impress! Keep it Up!

PAUL SHANKAR RHYTHM PLAYER said...

My Congrats to Crystal for a very well written article. It throws a good insight to the colourful life of a good friend and fellow musician who decided to take the risk and plunged into dangerous insecure waters and succeeded in following his dreams. I'm proud to be associated to such such a humble, unassuming and successful musician-proud to be a Duke too.

KELLY VOCALIST said...

I feel so honoured to be with the Dukes after reading your daughter's article.

CHIT CHAT said...

Freda Hanum
RIP JERRY MURAD from us all TEEPEES🙏

Stephen Han
Jerry Murad had a good voice.I watched him performed at the Esplanade on several occasions

Horace Hutapea
My condolence to the family. May your soul rest in peace Jerry. Our regards, from the Flybaits.

CHIT CHAT said...

RIP JERRY MURAD

FROM WHAT'S APP FRIENDS AND FELLOW MUSICIANS:
THE LIST IS NOT IN ANY PARTICULAR ORDER.

OLIVER BALASINGHAM
VICTOR LAM
WINSTON KOH
RONALD HO
JO WOON
STEVE HO
MIKE BANGAR
HORACE WEE
SAMMIN ANG
CEDRIC CORK
JERRY FERNANDEZ
IVOR LESSLAR
JIMMY LEE
JIMMY CHNG
CHOW WEN HING
CHARLIE YAP

1.11.23 Delete
Anonymous CHIT CHAT said...
Andy Young
On the passing of Jerry yesterday, I though it best to repost this article by CRYSTAL ABIDIN that was written about 7 years ago. She talks about a truly lovable uncle...

Davy Chan
RIP 🙏 Amen

Alphonso Soosay
THUMBS UP

Angela Leow
Thank you for sharing, Andy.

Andy Young
Since this posting is one to mark respect for a good friend and a talented musician, I shall just leave FB friends and readers to post their condolences on the page without answering each one personally. Thank you all. 🙏

Ivor Lesslar
Deepest Condolences To All In The Family 🙏

Terence Lee
Deepest condolences to the family.

Richard Khan
Al Fateha J Murad

Rasiah K Sabai
My heartfelt condolences to Jerry Murad's family.

Condolences from:

Rose Khoo
Alphonso Soosay
Yip Dick
Colin Colin
Ann Rowena Lim
Roland Shepherdson
Juliana Lim
Somkid Lakhawat
Robert Fernando
Davy Chan
Ser Kiong Tan


3.11.23 Delete
Blogger Cedric Collars said...
RIP Jerry 🙏 May your family have the knowledge that you were very respected in all things.