Saturday, August 19, 2017

The Peggy Tann Story Part 2 By Henri Gann

Part 2
The Peggy Tann Story by Henri Gann appears below. It is the last part and I wish to thank my good friend again for taking much trouble to research, write and produce it. If you have photographs and recordings of Peggy Tan to spare please write to me on the Comment page. Andy.


 UP TO 4,500 VIEWS  
SINCE PUBLICATION.


Picture 5

The ads in the local Straits Times would often read " Dance to the HH Tan's Orchestra and hear Peggy sing ". They would be performing at the El Amigo Nightclub, the Ocean Park Hotel, the Mandarin Hotel or the Cockpit Hotel

Many times they would find themselves playing at fashion shows alongside with Joan Booty Modeling Agency. In one instance, they went all the way to the Federal Hotel in Kuala Lumpur just to play at the Press Queen Beauty Pageant.

Occasionally, Peggy and her father would travel to perform in the clubs of Hong Kong. In 1959, they were invited by John Calvert to play with his troupe on his Around The World Tour. That was a major event as reported in the Straits Times by reporter Emma Baptista

However, during the interview for the show, Peggy surprised her fans when she said that she would prefer a "quiet life " away from the limelight of show business. (Straits Times Feb 6, 1959). By that time, Peggy had decided that playing for dances at the clubs and hotels were to be her forte rather than touring and playing at fashion shows.

Picture 6 

In later years, Peggy named her band the Prince's Trio or Quartet. In a very short period, she was the resident group at the Prince's Tea Room and the Jennifer's French Restaurant; both at the Cockpit Hotel. 

Years later, Peggy would eventually accomplish resident group status at the Shangri-La Hotel; thus fulfilling her dream of being a professional musician in a luxury 5-star hotel.

The Recording Artist

Peggy released a total of 5 albums/records in her career. Her first attempt at recording was on local music with a good folklore story. She recorded the famous Bengawan Soloan Indonesian/ Malaysian song made popular after the 2nd World War; and the ever popular Soochow Serenade, a romantic poetic melody from a popular 1942 post-war movie "Suzhou Night" sung by the late Chinese-born Japanese Singer and Actress Yoshiko Yamaguchi (Wikipedia). On subsequent recordings, she selected classical jazz pieces, movie themes, and popular hits. (see list below)

Her favorite musicians were the legendary pianist Oscar Peterson and the great organist Jimmy Smith. The jazz and pop singers she liked were Nancy Wilson, Vic Damone, Peggy Lee and Johnny Mathis. Peggy played many of the themes from the movies and that was a good reminder of the great era days of movie classics.
Picture 7

Filipino producer Gene O'Campo and recording engineer KK Wong both worked with Peggy on her "Love" with Life album. They were very impressed by her flexibility, versatility, and tenacity in her pursuit of perfection during the recording sessions.
Peggy had left us a legacy of beautiful dance tunes and lyrics for her memory. A talented musician, she was just too shy for fame. 

As she stated on the cover of one of her LPs "I live to communicate with my audience, and if this succeeds, I feel so much better.

For her, that communication with her audience was dancing to her music. That was her passion and her satisfaction was the enthusiastic fans.

Read Part 1: Connect below:
https://singapore60smusic.blogspot.sg/2017/08/the-peggy-tann-story-part-one-by-henri.html

This posting is an original article by Henry Gan and is Copyrights Reserved. 

Images: from Henri Tann, Google.
Picture 8
       
    " Au Revoir Peggy! "
My little boat is like a note
Bouncing merrily along
Hear it splashing up a song


Here's my Spotify Playlist on the Music of Peggy:

( copy and paste )
And some YouTube link to her music selection:

   1.  If Ever I Would Leave You -  B.Adair

   2.  I Will Wait For You - Lisa Lovbrand
    
   3.  Something Stupid ( Frank and  
           Nancy Sinatra )
           https://youtu.be/PoSbnAFvqfA

Picture 9

    4.  Unchained Melody ( Nora Jones )
    
     5.  Hati Yang Luka ( Betharia Sonata )
            https://youtu.be/vFaO21qwCaM
  • this article was inspired by a sad note from Melvyn Tan in Andy's blog regarding his aunt Peggy Tann ... " my dearest aunt passed away at 7:55 am Wednesday, May 11, 2016, and had left us with a treasure trove of her music and sweet memories of her soul. "
  • Peggy was a good friend of my uncle when I was a kid and I had heard stories about her from my brother to whom my uncle had confided in.

24 comments:

henri gann said...

Here's the new Youtube link to Betharia Sonata
"Hati Yang Luka."
https://youtu.be/zbykHsPNqSw

henri gann said...

New Youtube link to
"If Ever I Would Leave You" by Beegie Adair

https://youtu.be/92I1yiBBuXg

Samuel Siang Kiang Foo said...

Well written! .....It may take a lot of your time but to leave a legacy for the next generation is a good way to give back.

Samuel Siang Kiang Foo

Eng Hong Lee said...

Hi Henri
Thank you. Another side of you seldom seen by us Bravo.

Wendy said...

Thanks Henri
I followed the link etc, would have loved to hear her voice. Tried through a few different links to find her, but so far unsuccessful. Will keep trying. Have found this link http://madrotter-treasure-hunt.blogspot.com.au/2014/06/peggy-tan-peggy.html am now downloading the music so I can listen to her. Had to download RAR opener, all worked great and was able to listen to her. She has a fantastic voice
Great article!
Love

Wendy said...

Thank you for your flattery and kind words Andy. You have inspired me and I am sure many others to write. Here's a good quote for all.

"There is no Greater agony than bearing an Untold Story inside you." Maya Angelou, American Poet

HENRI GANN (TREKKERS LEAD AND POST WRITER) said...

Thank you for your flattery and kind words Andy. You have inspired me and I am sure many others to write. Here's a good quote for all.

"There is no Greater agony than bearing an Untold Story inside you." Maya Angelou, American Poet

henri gann said...

Peggy's Recording:
Compliments of Hank Madrotter ( ref: Wendy Taylor )
Nice R & B/soul album from singer/piano player Peggy Tan....

http://madrotter-treasure-hunt.blogspot.com.au/2014/06/peggy-tan-peggy.html

GET IT HERE ( Download and Unzip File with Zip Extractor )

anonymous said...

Knowing Peggy Tann personally and having worked together, she loves to play George Shearing. Ms. Tann had a strict upbringing.

henri gann said...

Thank You. It's comments like yours that brings to live
the beautiful memories of Peggy...

ANDY: Pop Music Not Pills. © said...

This comment post keeps itself alive with periodical answers from Henri the author. Thanks, Henri.

A friend met Peggy's brother recently who commented that he would like to meet the writer of the blog. The question is which writer, so I shall try to sort it out and find out if this brother of P. is based in Singapore.

My friend does not have his connection. Henri?

ALLAN THOMPSON (MAIN CONTRIBUTOR FROM RAF CHANGI 60'S) said...

The Peggy Tann tribute reminded me of other pianists who also recorded albums featuring film music during the 1960s: Roger Williams, Frank Chacksfield, George Greeley and, of course, Rawicz and Landauer.

Easy listening at its finest in the midst of the Beatles, Stones, and all the rest of the pop groups of that time. It was always good to relax on my bed with some light music on my Phillips record player under a creaking, lethargic ceiling fan after a hot day's work.

henri gann said...

Thank you Alan !
You have certainly "described the music moods of Peggy Tann". Those were the days when the "lyrics of music were both beautiful and romantic" ( james randall, youtube ).

With your mentioned of Frank Chacksfield (1995), famous British Pianist, many of us can still remember if not hum along occasionally to the tune of Fascination, I Only Have Eyes For You, Stranger in Paradise, My Prayer, Singing in the Rain, I Could Have Danced All Night and the Isle of Capri.

And Roger Williams (2011), popular American Pianist, sure brought back memories of the days in Singapore when you could always tell when someone had a new record player with music of Autumn Leaves, Born Free, Near You and Flight of the Bumble Bee blasting away from his home.

And of course who can forget George Greeley (2007), famous American-Italian pianist, with movie themes like Tara's Theme, An Affair to Remember, Moonglow, and If I Loved You

And, Rawicz and Landauer (a "wow" to the world's greatest piano duo) with famous piano pieces like Carmen, Home Sweet Home and Fledermaus Fantasy.

Thank you for bringing back the wonderful memories of the Music Classics of Peggy Tann.

SAM Gan said...

Hi Andy..nice story on the late Peggy Tan. I remember she played in her father's (HH Tan's) band when I was still in school in the early fifties 1953 or '54 at tbe Ambassador Hotel (later known as The Dukes Hotel) in Tanjong Rhu. the late tenor Saxophonist and guitarist john Lee was an integral member of HH Tan's band..I think they also performed at the old Majestic Hotel (Nam Tian}in Chinatown. Peggy's trio at the Princes Garni's Teatime dances consisted of Peggy on piano, Billy Martinez on Double Bass and the late Sanip Ismail on drums. They were already playing great bebop songs like Confirmation, Jordu, Nardis from their vast repertoire of Jazz standards.Peggy was the first female professional Singaporean musician and a very accomplished one too. She, like Teresa Khoo who came on the scene in the 60's were beautiful and shy and very soft spoken.
When she played at the French Restaurant at the Cockpit Hotel in 1971,72...My band had moved from the French Restaurant ( we were there since 1961) to the new Chinese Restaaurant that the Indonesian owner Mr Hoo Liong Ting had at the new wing of the old Cockpit hotel.
Peggy was indeed a great and multi-talented professional whom all Singopreans can be pruod of especially me who had the privilege of knowing her.

Regards

Sam Gan from Australia

SAM Gan said...

Hi Andy,please reply if you have received my comments sent to you

thanks

Sam Gan

ANDY: Pop Music Not Pills. © said...

Hi Sam,

I have certainly received your story about Peggy Tann and will publish it on the blog as an individual posting in a week or two.

Please write to me again on this comment page with a returning EMAIL ADDRESS. I shall not reveal nor publish your address but will reply to it confidentially.

Thank you so much for writing in.

Appreciate.

SAM GAN ( SINGAPORE PIANIST 60'S) AUSTRALIA said...

Peggy was indeed a great and multi-talented professional whom all Singopreans can be proud of especially me who had the privilege of knowing her.

(The full text of Sam Gan's tribute will soon appear on this blog. Check it out.)

henri gann said...

Good Morning Sam
Just to let you know that your piano skill had left a lasting impression
with a 14 yr old ( Trekker's ) drummer George Wang in your days
at Radio Singapore. He still talk about you to this day.
On listening to your YouTube ( https://youtu.be/SMZYR240Xq8 ) you
can be my Richard Clayderman anytime.
Thank you Sam and Andy !
p/s comments like yours keep Andy's blog alive.

ANDY: Pop Music Not Pills. © said...

My uncle is home. Resting his feet.
Welcome home uncle.
I'm glad you're OK.
Worried about you and your folks during the big fire.

henri gann said...

sam tiang choon gan has left a new comment on the post "The Peggy Tann Story Part 2 By Henri Gann":

Hi Andy..nice story on the late Peggy Tan. I remember she played in her father's (HH Tan's) band when I was still in school in the early fifties 1953 or '54 at tbe Ambassador Hotel (later known as The Dukes Hotel) in Tanjong Rhu. the late tenor Saxophonist and guitarist john Lee was an integral member of HH Tan's band..I think they also performed at the old Majestic Hotel (Nam Tian}in Chinatown. Peggy's trio at the Princes Garni's Teatime dances consisted of Peggy on piano, Billy Martinez on Double Bass and the late Sanip Ismail on drums. They were already playing great bebop songs like Confirmation, Jordu, Nardis from their vast repertoire of Jazz standards.Peggy was the first female professional Singaporean musician and a very accomplished one too. She, like Teresa Khoo who came on the scene in the 60's were beautiful and shy and very soft spoken.
When she played at the French Restaurant at the Cockpit Hotel in 1971,72...My band had moved from the French Restaurant ( we were there since 1961) to the new Chinese Restaaurant that the Indonesian owner Mr Hoo Liong Ting had at the new wing of the old Cockpit hotel.
Peggy was indeed a great and multi-talented professional whom all Singopreans can be pruod of especially me who had the privilege of knowing her.

Regards

Sam Gan from Australia

henri gann said...

Thank you very much Sam for takng the time to write and to give us a greater insight story of HH Tan and Peggy Tann. The jazz and popular music in that era must be fascinating and it must be exciting times to be a professional musician in Singapore. Still I want you to know that you guys had inspired many of us to be interested in learning to play a musical instrument.

Bob May said...


Thankyou all for the story of Peggy Tan. I came across Peggy while doing a series of blogs on the Straits Times Annual. Peggy was cover girl in 1959. I shall now be able to update my blog post. Peggy and her dad seem to have been delightful people. I am so glad you took the trouble to create this posting about Peggy. https://wordpress.com/posts/rhmay.wordpress.com

ANDY: Pop Music Not Pills. © said...

Hi Bob
thanks for the interest in the PT story.
you can update your blog post but i couldn't read it.
didn't want to fill in the details with the cookies following.

the articles will soon be in a book, verbatim but by Henri Gann as writer
and copy-righted.
appreciate you visit the blog.
contribute some articles if you wish about Singapore 60s music.
i am always short of stories.

henri gann said...


Hello Mervin,
I have been trying to track down your Aunt Peggy for many years and only now succeeded. It is with total regret and sadness in my heart that I now learn that she passed away in 2016.
To explain who I am, my name is Alan Penman, I am from the UK, Plymouth to be precise. From 1965 -1968 I was working in Singapore and as a Double bass player myself met Peggy at the lovely Ocean Park Hotel. Of course I also new her father HH. Tann. I often used to sit in with the band during my many visits to Ocean Park, and I and my wife were invited to have dinner with the Tann family at their home. She was such a lovely lady, good and kind, beautiful, and had a superb voice. I am anold man myself now at 88yrs. but still love the many records that I have of her wonderful voice. I also have a beautiful photograph of her which she gave me.
My deepest condolences to you and yours,
I would be delighted to hear from you.