Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Elvis': 'All Shook Up': What Song Means To Seniors

SONGS I LOVE:

Health Guide With An Elvis Song:

As  Elvis Presley fans we all love the way he interprets his rock and roll songs. His natural rhythm and the way he bounces them make us eager beavers to listen to him repeatedly and there are so many of his hits. One of these songs that struck me is, *All Shook Up and Mao Wong (Cat King, as he is called in the East) makes it so unique and personal as he arouses the animal in us. As youths we feel instinctively hot and sensual when we gyrate to this number:

'A well I bless my soul
What's wrong with me?
I'm itching like a man on a fuzzy tree
My friends say I'm actin' wild as a bug.'

But that was years ago and happened during our younger days, because now as we watch The King on You Tube, there's a different feel to the lyrics. 'I'm itchin' like a man on a fuzzy tree' is instantly recognisable because some of us, at our age, may have problem skin. The itch from certain skin ailments like eczema or hives makes it unbearable and the phrase, 'itching all over' takes on a different perspective.

'My hands are shaky and my knees are weak
I can't seem to stand on my own two feet
Who do you thank when you have such luck?

I'm in love, I'm all shook up.'

After a long walk or jog it is not unusual for seniors to complain, 'My hands are shaky and my knees are weak' giving a new meaning to the line with the resultant effect,  'I can't seem to stand on my own two feet.' The lyrics speak for themselves since arthritis, osteoporosis and weak knees are ailments we cannot run away from. The walking stick helps but, 'Who do you thank when you have such luck?' Old age definitely and not 'love' as the line, 'I'm in love, I'm all shook up', explains.
Image: Ron Leishman

'Please don't ask me what's on my mind
I'm a little mixed up, but I'm feelin' fine
When I'm near that girl that I love best
My heart beats so it scares me to death!'
 

Yes, at 70 we would probably not realise what's on our mind let alone give a reason for it. The mixed up feeling could be the result of dementia or memory loss and 'feelin' fine' a personal reassurance that everything's alright.

15 caps a day for some.

'She touched my hand what a chill I got
Her lips are like a volcano that's hot
I'm proud to say she's my buttercup.'



With atrial fibrillation and a high pulse rate so common amongst seniors, 'My heart beats so it scares me to death!' could be a sign of heart degeneration or a probable cardiac arrest. 'She touched my hand what a chill I got'  could be a dengue onset or a flu bug attack.  'Her lips are like a volcano that's hot' does not indicate that we've excited our partner but probably because she's got influenza too.

'My tongue gets tied when I try to speak
My insides shake like a leaf on a tree

There's only one cure for this body of mine...'


When you reach this stage don't wait for more symptoms; go see a private doctor quickly or check into the nearest AE Unit at one of our hospitals before it's too late. And when you check into the ward, 'That's When Your Heartache Begins'

*All Shook Up is a song recorded by Elvis Presley in 1957 and published by Elvis Presley Music and composed by Otis Blackwell and Elvis Presley. That's When Your Heartache Begins is on Side B (Wikipedia).

*All Shook Up is also a 2004 American jukebox musical with Elvis Presley music and with a book by Joe DiPietro. The story is based on William Shakespeare's 1602 play Twelfth Night (Wikipedia).

Images: Google.
Original article: Written in jest but the truth persists.

(Poor paragraphing due to blog template inconsistencies)

24 comments:

CHRISTIAN SCIENCE MONITOR said...

A Utah school district has banned a high school from performing 'All Shook Up,' an Elvis Presley musical. In 2013, Elvis Presley returns to the list of music deemed worthy of parental censorship.

By Staff, Christian Science Monitor.com / January 3, 2013.

ANDY: Pop Music Not Pills. © said...

Thanks James for connection. The clock goes one full circle. It happened way back in the 50s when he started his career. TV shows of his performances were shown from the waist upwards so audiences all over only viewed his top half. Nothing changes huh, after all these years?

anonymous said...

"I’m at a loss," Fishback told the Tribune. "They’re singing Elvis songs. A girl dresses up as a boy and kisses a boy... It’s not promoting homosexuality. It was supposed to be a farce."

ANDY: Pop Music Not Pills. © said...

By the way, I am only discussing what happens when you turn lyrics upside down and have a new interpretation for them. It's done in fun and jest.

From James' email said...

The latest news reports from Utah don't make clear which version of this song was going to be used in the high school musical. But 56 years later, clearly The King continues to court controversy among teens, or at least the parents trying to protect them from sinful influences.

JEAN said...

Hi Andy,
Excuse me for the late reply due to heavy workload. I have no blog yet. I meant to seriously open one about my passion for Egyptian & Greek archeology but just never got round to it yet LOL. No time lah. One day soon I hope.

I go through your fabulous blog whenever I get the chance. Its a comfort zone for nostalgia buffs like me. Thank goodness for the Internet that's changed almost everyone's lives in creating a global village with communication at the touch of our fingers.
Cheers Andy!

ANDY: Pop Music Not Pills. © said...

Hi Jean,

What a coincidence. I had meant to leave for Egypt for a 13 day tour but couldn't manage cause of personal reasons and it isn't the first time i postponed the trip since the Arab Spring problems.

Thanks so much for your huge support. It's letters like yours that keep me going.

Let me know when you start your blog.

WIKIPEDIA said...

"All Shook Up" is a song recorded by Elvis Presley and published by Elvis Presley Music and composed by Otis Blackwell and Elvis Presley. The single topped the U.S. Pop chart on April 13, 1957, staying there for eight weeks. It also topped the R&B chart for four weeks, becoming Presley's second single to do so, and peaked at #3 on the country chart. It is certified 2X Platinum by the RIAA.

It was ranked #352 on Rolling Stone's list of the 500 Greatest Songs of All Time.

Blackwell wrote the song at the offices of Shalimar Music in 1956 after one of Shalimar's owners, shaking a bottle of Pepsi at the time, suggested he write a song based around the phrase "all shook up".

JC DECIBELS said...

Dear Andy,
Haha... really enjoyed your posting on Elvis' "All Shook Up" Made my day!

Thanks
JC

ANDY: Pop Music Not Pills. © said...

Thanks Jimmy for always supporting this blog.

dino martin peters said...

Hey pallie, likes what fun Andy dude....shows your great great creativity with wordsmithin'...likes how 'bout takin' on a Dino-croon or two for makin' magic with?!?!?

ANDY: Pop Music Not Pills. © said...

Hi DMP,

Thanks for interesting idea and visit. I might just do that and send you the posting. "Memories Are Made Of This" sounds a fun song to play with. Gimme some time. I hope you wouldn't mind knowing you're such a big fan.

ROBIN CHAN said...

So great to come across this blog accidentally. as a teenager during the sixties I love that era. Frankie Valli, Cliff, Elvis, Dusty Springfield, Beatles, CCR, Rolling Stones etc.. As for the local scene- Talk of the town, Babarella, Spot Spot, Ban Chuan Cafe, Orchard road car park hawker centre brings back great memories of such happy vibrant years! I scout around for old vinyl records and have quite a collection. I even have a phonograph to play them, working condition but of course.

ANDY: Pop Music Not Pills. © said...

Thanks Robin for contributing memories about Singapore's 60s. Yes I still remember those places and spaces. And the night clubs, they were something weren't they. And at least three of the singers you mentioned are gone.

I still visit those record stalls you mentioned but the area at Sungei Road has been greatly reduced don't you think? Hopefully the sellers there get a better and larger venue to show their wares.

Please contribute some more memories, anytime.

ROBIN CHAN said...

I remembered a programme for songs request when I was a teenager, I think it is " Home Sweet Home" hosted by a female. can anyone refresh my memory? this was during the mid or late sixties
robin chan

VERNON CORNELIUS said...

Hi Andy,
Larry cant recall because there was no such title! It most likely was *From your house* and mon - fri programme. started possibly in the early 1960s by Noreen Sales. She left and Honey Zain hosted the 15min show.

*which featured song favorites of a family, in each show!

ANDY: Pop Music Not Pills. © said...

So Robin, there's your answer from the man himself, Vernon.

Hope it helps.

dino martin peters said...

Hey pallie, likes Andy dude...likes you are a huge devotee of our Dino as well man...so likes I trust you to the max man to pour your heart and your soul into a grand and glorious spoof of "Memories Are Made Of This."
There are just so so many amazin' ways of spreadin' devotion to our Dino and likes your musical efforts are sure to bear much fruit in growin' others into knowin', lovin' and honorin' our most beloved Dino!
Keeps lovin' our Dino and will be waitin' with bated breath to read your prose on that Dino-tune!

ANDY: Pop Music Not Pills. © said...

Thanks for your interesting mail DMP. It may take some time but no promises cause I think it may be a tough call.

johnny said...

Hi Andy

Very interesting and creative article on Elvis. Not sure if the writer also sing Elvis. Like to invite him to join our Elvis Mafia. Thanks.

ANDY: Pop Music Not Pills. © said...

Hi Johnny,

Thank you for comment and visit. If you mean "the writer" as myself, I do sing Elvis. 'Mean Woman Blues' is usually one of my songs when I perform.


I would love to join your Elvis Mafia. Let me know :-) I will be waiting...

johnny said...

Good Morning Andy. The last time I met you was in Pasir Ris CC, ie where I learnt of your blog.

Yes, we have a few hardcore Elvis diehards. Sing Elvis songs only. This afternoon, we have a session from 1-5pm in one of the RC centre.

Sometimes, the Mafia meet for coffee once or twice a month, reminiscing the good old days of Rolling Good Times.

Looking forward to your company.

Bests....Johnny

ANDY: Pop Music Not Pills. © said...

Again thanks Johnny for your invitation. I think I remember now but cannot recall the people in the group. Which RC is this and if I can manage will catch up with you folks?


I always love a good cuppa and talk about Elvis and rolling good times. Let me know.

MICHAEL BANGAR (RHYTHMIST SILVER STRINGS said...

Yes. A little bit funny but true. Ha Ha Ha.