Wednesday, February 07, 2018

The Wedding: A John Cher Exclusive ๐Ÿ’–

Mr and Mrs John Cher walking down the aisle during their wedding in 1977.

  This  post   has   
  3,300+ viewers  
  since published. 

This posting is a Valentine's Day Special ๐Ÿ’–๐Ÿ’๐Ÿ’˜

There are more than 300 'likes' on Mr *John Cher's Facebook page when he posted his wedding pictures with beautiful Betsy.  The couple looks so refreshingly charming and I asked if he could write his experience for this blog.  As usual, he obliged.

Thanks again John and Betsy. And a Happy 41st Wedding Anniversary to both.



The Wedding (La Novia) by Julie Rogers. Video from Chen Daniel.

In  1969  I went to McGRAW-HILL F.E.P. for the first time for a job interview.  This 19-year-old simpleton from U.S.A. (Upper Serangoon Area) was completely blown away by the size of this factory/office.  

The landscaped garden in the centre of the complex complete with cascades, fish ponds and the works looked exactly like a 5-star hotel. I got the job!  What I didn't know then was that within the parameters of this beautiful gigantic workplace with hundreds of employees, was my future wife!
A YOUNG COUPLE IN LOVE

She was introduced to me by a mutual colleague.  On our first date, my colleague with his girlfriend and us went for a movie at The Capitol.  After that was supper at Albert Street.  Together with taxi fares,  I went without lunch the following week!  Be that as it may, after this initial outing, the dates became weekly, graduating to any day also can...

After 4 or 5 years, it was time for wedding plans. I was honestly quite horrified by the thought of meeting her mother whose facial features never fail to remind me of bulldogs!  That was not the only issue.  My friends, who were all older as well as married guys, kept telling me that I was still young and should wait a few more years.

The 3 RINGS.

I am sure with the best of intentions,  in various ways they kept telling me about the 3 rings!  These are nothing to do with the Lord of the Rings.  They are  1)  The Engagement RING,   2) The Wedding RING and 3rd) The SufferRING!   Well, love knows no boundaries and on 5th February 1977, Betsy and I were married at The Church of the Nativity of The Blessed Virgin Mary. 

On our wedding morning, would you believe the make-up girl was no way to be found at the appointed time?  All hell broke loose and I was right in the firing line as she was proposed by me!   In an instant, I understood what my friends meant by The 3rd Ring !!!  And we were not even officially married yet!
God in His infinite wisdom wanted man and woman to be married and multiply.  By His grace, everything went on smoothly for the rest of the day and night.  The wedding dinner was pretty good (that's what everyone told me and I took it at face value).  My only regret was that there was no band to provide music.  Should have known The Silver Strings then!

We went to The Philippines for our honeymoon.  When we arrived at the Silahis Hotel (In later years THE PLAYBOY CLUB was at this hotel) we were really hungry and so-called room service for a dozen sandwiches.  



Baby Face by Bobby Darin. Video from:

I think it took about an hour and then finally the doorbell rang.  When I opened the door I nearly fainted.  There were 3 waiters with 2 carts with 12 beautiful trays of sandwiches !!  It cost about S$150.  That was 41 years ago!  And $150 could have been dinner for about 10 people.  OMG!!!

Thanks Andy for asking me to share my wedding story.

BTW  those who are planning to get married, please don't be unduly concerned, for the benefits and fun far exceed the third "Ring".

Cheers everyone!
Through the years with Mr and Mrs John Cher from the U.S.A. (Upper Serangoon Area).๐Ÿ˜‰

*John is happily retired and plays the drums with The Silver Strings. He has a very popular Facebook account that draws hundreds of readers. You can also check him out under Labels below and read his many articles on this blog.

Images and Article: A John Cher Collection (Copyrights Reserved).
Sihali's Hotel from http://www.kimberry.com/archives/1980s/philippines_1984/hotel.html

Silahis Hotel in Manila Philippines, where the couple stayed for their honeymoon.

23 comments:

Fabian Foo said...

Dear Andy,
Congrats to John and Betsy for their 41st wedding anniversary.
So nice of John to remember all the happening on the wedding day.
May their devoted love and lasting affection be a good yardstick for us to emulate.
My regards and compliments to the lovely couple.

Fabian Foo said...

Dear Andy,
Congrats to John and Betsy for their 41st wedding anniversary.
So nice of John to remember all the happening on the wedding day.
May their devoted love and lasting affection be a good yardstick for us to emulate.
My regards and compliments to the lovely couple.

TAN SOO KHOON said...

It takes a brave man like John Cher to say that his mother in law reminds him of bulldogs.

LAURENCE LIM (GRANDPA IN YOU'RE THE BOY VIDEO) said...

Interesting.

ANN ROWENA LIM said...

It's a good write up dearest Andy Young. Thanks, dearest John Cher for sharing your love story & marriage. I was smiling when you said you were so afraid to meet your mother-in-law (bulldog's face) ... Lol! ๐Ÿ˜‚ Guess back then some ladies do look fierce when they do not smile. Reminds me of my late grandma (dad's mom who never smiled once!).๐Ÿค“๐Ÿ˜ But it never stopped me from smiling. I love all of your old photos with your wife. They are really beautiful & so nostalgic. God bless you both always. ๐Ÿ™♥️๐Ÿ˜Š๐ŸŒป๐Ÿ‘

JOHN CHER FACEBOOK (DRUMMER SILVER STRINGS, FACEBOOK, WRITER said...

Haha... I am so glad you appreciate the humour when describing my future mother in law. She is in paradise now but I think she would like the friendly joke too... ๐Ÿ˜‚ As always thank you very much for all your kind words dear Ann! God bless.

ANN ROWENA LIM FACEBOOK said...

Haha! ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜ I am sure she would be smiling now cos her daughter is in such good hands cos you're a good husband, dad & grandpa too! Yeah love anything that is real but yet cute & funny dearest John Cher. It adds spark to it when I read it. Definitely did not put me to sleep & was hoping there was more though. ๐Ÿ˜‰ Oh! I laughed at the 12 trays of sandwiches too. What a bread feasts you both had! Nice one to remember for the rest of your lives. I would probably have gotten a 'bread coma' after that if it happened to me. Lol! ๐Ÿ˜›๐Ÿ˜‚ And keep up with the good writing too dearest Andy Young. God bless y'all! ♥️๐ŸŒป๐Ÿ˜Š

ANDY: Pop Music Not Pills. © said...

I must thank John for the hot, pulsating rhythm of the double-heart posting.

These comments are from John Cher's FACEBOOK page. And the write-up is also John's. Thank you all for the quick replies.

More comments coming up I think...

JOHN CHER FACEBOOK (DRUMMER SILVER STRINGS, FACEBOOK, WRITER said...

Thanks again Ann! Actually we gave it to all the people who checked in with us and everyone enjoyed the joke as well as the great sandwiches. I will try to write as long as I know at least you would be reading what I write... ๐Ÿ˜‚ cheers Ann!!!

ANN ROWENA LIM FACEBOOK said...

Most welcome & I enjoyed reading every bit of it to its max! Ah-Ha! Smart that you gave the sandwiches to the people who checked in with you both too dearest John Cher. Otherwise I do not think you will want to see bread for the rest of your honeymoon. Lol! ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿคฃ Cheers & rest well tonight John. ♥️๐ŸŒ 

Anonymous said...

Thanks John and Andy.

Wonderful story and photographs (couldn't help noticing the National Theatre in there).

Best wishes

Steve

ROSE KHOO FB said...

Wow such a beautiful writeup n memories of your wedding day! Always a fan of your articles John ! Tks n may you n Betsy be blessed with happiness thru the yesrs forward๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š

FRED CHING said...

This is so cool. Thanks for sharing Brother John. Congratulations & Happy Wedding Anniversary๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ™๐Ÿป๐Ÿ’–๐Ÿ‘

ELIZABETH QUEK said...

Indeed beautifully stated...interesting and amusing! ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘Did you know Bishop Francis Chan at the Church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary then, John?

JENNIE LAW said...

Very details and memorable write-up. I got married at the same time like yours, met my husband also in 1969..we are in the same era

JOHN CHER FACEBOOK (DRUMMER SILVER STRINGS, FACEBOOK, WRITER said...

Hi Jennie. Thank you for sharing with us. Perhaps you should write your story for Andy's blog too! All the best to you ! Cheers!

SUSAN LEE FB said...

Wow. Nowadays, to stay married is already hard. To stay happily married, it's really God's blessings.
Such a wonderful story to share with fa mily and friends. Thank you. And many more good years to come.

HIROSHI DEGUCHI FB said...

I am very fond of the movie "Forever Fever" which vivdly depicts life in Singapore in 1977. It helps me imagine how you both were in those days, good old days. Anyway you seem like an old friend of mine, though we have never met in person.

JOHN CHER FACEBOOK (DRUMMER SILVER STRINGS, FACEBOOK, WRITER said...

Hi Hiroshi! Thanks very much for sharing with us. Really appreciate your kind words of encouragement! Thanks for your friendship in spirit through the pages of FB! Cheers my friend!

Unknown said...

Hello brother Andy. Your idea for a VALENTINE'S DAY STORY is great. The story has gone from not listed to #1 position in your Top Ten Posts for the week listing in merely 3 days! Which goes to show beyond doubt, the popularity of your blog! More importantly many of your readers have commented that they like the humour of the story and have enjoyed reading the short account of one man's wedding in the 70's and in doing so must have recalled some fond memories of their own weddings as well. One point that I did not include in the story was that in those days gone by, wedding photos were taken on the wedding day itself. I think it added too much stress to the rushes and tight schedule of the day which would typically include tea ceremonies on both sides as well. My view is that it is indeed a good idea to do it before the wedding day, which is being done for the more recent weddings.

In the near future, when I look back at such stories that you have archived, I would be thankful that at least one person has the foresight to create such a blog which serves as a "memories" bank that all can access and enjoy.

Thanks very much again Andy for your untiring efforts for our benefit!

God bless.

John Cher

ANDY: Pop Music Not Pills. © said...

Thank you, John.

You have a way with words and must have won your better-half over with them,

"It's only words and words, are all I have, To take your heart away..."

This week was a lot of fun too, seeing the young folks buying flowers and gifts for each other, love-birds ever ready to fly...

I'd like to thank everyone very much for the response and good wishes for John's exclusive post. I couldn't have published it without his permission.

BTW, Debra Palmer will be bringing some VARDAY the next time we meet at OLPS.

FL said...

Hi, John, thank you for sharing your pics with all readers in Andy's Blog. These are beautiful moments that you and your dearest wife cherish dearly throughout your life. All of us certainly wish the couple everlasting happiness and a life worths living for.

henri gann said...

Happy New Year Andy !
That’s a great love story of John and Betsy.
Cobgratulations to both ...